The first of this year’s beer festivals in Abingdon starts this evening (Friday 24th February 2012) at The Kings Head & Bell. There will also be a folk music session on Sunday afternoon starting around 3pm. Please come along with an instrument to join in with, or a song to sing, or come along to listen. The beer list is at the bottom of this post.
More beer festivals coming up in Abingdon in the next few months include:
- 16th-18th March: The Cross Keys Spring Beer Festival
- 23rd-25th March: The Brewery Tap Springtime Beer Festival
- 6th-8th April: Broad Face Easter Beer Festival
- 4th-7th May: Waggon & Horses in Culham, May Bank Holiday Beer Festival. It is worth making the short trip to Culham to visit this pub which has recently reopened as a freehouse with a good range of local beers.
Other pub music sessions include:
- The Anchor has an open acoustic music session every monday evening starting around 8pm until closing. All styles of music, song and some poetry is encouraged. This is becoming quite popular with some excellent musicians and singers taking part.
- Prince of Wales in Shippon has a folk music session on the last Sunday of every month (the next one is this Sunday) starting around 8pm until closing time. This is informally known as the ‘Not the Cumnor Cricket Club’ session as it moved locations to Shippon a few months ago. Prince of Wales has 6 real ales, several of them local including Shotover and Loose Cannon, and is not far to walk from Abingdon (follow Faringdon Road about half a mile out of town over the A34 bridge and turn left into Shippon).
There is also a lot of live music going on in Abingdon
- The Broad Face has live Jazz every Sunday afternoons, Open Mic Jazz session on Tuesday evening, and live rock/blues on Friday nights
- Folk at the Unicorn. Monthly folk music concerts in the Unicorn Theatre at Abingdon Abbey.
- Full Circle are performing at The Anchor this Saturday evening with a new line up and new songs.
- The Cross Keys often has live music on Friday or Saturday evenings
- The White Horse has live music most Saturdays